* 125g (4 oz) Stork margarine
* 275ml (1/2 pint) tea
* 175g (6 oz) mixed dried fruit
* 125g (4 oz) castor sugar
* 250g (9 oz) self-raising flour, sieved with
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda and
* 1 x 2.5ml spoon (1/2 teaspoon) salt and
* 1 x 2.5ml spoon (1/2 teaspoon) mixed spice
OVEN: Pre-heat to moderate (180°C, 350°F, Gas No. 4)
1. Grease and bottom line a 1 kg (2 lb) loaf tin.
2. Place Stork, tea, fruit and sugar in a saucepan; stirring continuously, over a low heat, bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Allow to cool.
3. Mix thoroughly with sieved dry ingredients. Place in prepared tin.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 - 1 1/4 hours. Leave in tin for 10 minutes, turn out and cool on a wire tray. Serve sliced and spread with Stork.
Orange and Sultana Teabread
Use 175g (6 oz) sultanas instead of mixed dried fruit and grated rind of an orange instead of mixed spice.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr - 1 hr 15 mins