* 1 quantity Traditional Pizza Dough, shaped and ready for topping
* 500 g (1 lb) tomatoes, skinned
* 440 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 3 teaspoons tomato puree (paste)
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
* salt and pepper
* 1-2 tablespoons oil
* 125 g (4 oz) Mozzarella cheese
* 6-8 fresh basil leaves
* basil sprig, to garnish
1. Make Tomato Topping. Chop tomatoes, if using fresh. Heat oil in saucepan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in tomatoes, tomato puree (paste), sugar and basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes until thick.
2. Preheat oven to 220C (425F/Gas 7). Brush dough with 1 tablespoon oil. Spoon over tomato topping. Slice Mozzarella thinly. Arrange over sauce. Sprinkle with salt to taste, 2-3 basil leaves and remaining oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until cheese has melted and dough is crisp and golden. Sprinkle with remaining basil leaves. Serve at once, garnished with a sprig of basil.