* 185 g (6 oz/1 cup) brown lentils
* 125 g (4 oz / 2/3 cup) split peas
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 1 carrot, finely chopped
* 1 stick celery, finely chopped
* 440 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* salt and pepper
* Parmesan cheese, to serve
* sprig of parsley, to garnish
1. In a saucepan, bring 625 ml (20 fl oz / 2 1/2 cups) water to the boil. Stir in Lentils and split peas. Simmer, covered, for about 40 minutes, or until all liquid has been absorbed and lentils and peas are soft.
2. In a saucepan, heat oil. Add onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until soft. Stir in chopped tomatoes and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
3. Add lentils and split peas to pan. Cook, stirring, until well combined and heated through. Serve with wholewheat spaghetti sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and garnished with parsley.