750 g/1 1/2 lb potatoes
50 g/2 oz butter
500 g/1 lb minced beef
200 ml/7 fl oz beef stock
150 ml/5 fl oz milk
2 teaspoons cornflour
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon mixed fresh herbs
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
25 g/1 oz breadcrumbs
25 g/1 oz mature Gouda cheese
or any mature cheese, grated
15 g/1/2 oz chilled butter
Preparation. Peel the potatoes and cut into pieces. Cook for about 20 minutes in just enough water to cover.
• Meanwhile peel and finely chop the onion. Heat 25 g/1 oz butter in a frying pan and brown the mince all over. Add the onion and fry for a further 5 minutes. Pour on the stock and leave to simmer for 10 minutes.
• Heat the milk in a saucepan. Drain the potatoes and mash with the milk and remaining butter.
• Mix the cornflour with a little water, then while stirring add the mixture to the mince. Season to taste with salt and fresh herbs. Season the puree to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
• Lightly grease an oven dish and heat the oven to 200 °C/400 of.
Cooking. Divide half the puree over the base of the oven dish. Over this arrange the mince and then the rest of the potato puree. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese and dot with butter. Bake the shepherd's pie in the oven for 25 minutes until the top is crisp and golden brown.
• Delicious with a mixed salad.
Contains per serving: 2484kJ/596 kcal.
31 g protein, 38 g fat, 33 g carbohydrate
Italian shepherd's pie. Mix segments of sundried tomato, 2 finely chopped cloves of garlic and finely chopped basil into the mince. Bake in olive oil rather than butter and for the topping use grated Parmesan and breadcrumbs.