500 g/1 lb onions
50 g/2 oz butter
750 g/1 1/2 lb stewing beef
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon flour
500 ml/1 pint beef stock
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tub creme fraiche
Preparation. Peel and slice the onion into rings.
• Heat the butter in a frying pan and brown the meat all over. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion to the meat and continue frying a few minutes more. Sprinkle over the flour and mix everything together until brown.
• Heat the stock, add the bay leaves, cloves and vinegar and pour over the meat. Cover and simmer gently for about 2 1/2-З hours until cooked.
To serve. Remove the bay leaf and cloves from the stew and stir in the creme fraiche.
• Serve with boiled potatoes and red cabbage.
3 hours/5 minutes
Contains per serving: 2164 kJ/520 kcal.
41 g protein, 37 g fat, 6 g carbohydrate
* Substitute red wine for half the stock. Use cocktail onions instead of ordinary onions and add 300 g/10 oz baby carrots.
* Add 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3 springs thyme to the stew.