* 90 g (3 oz / 1/3 cup) butter
* 30 g (1 oz / 1/4 cup) plain flour
* 185 ml (6 fl oz / 3/4 cup) milk
* salt and pepper
* 125 g (4 oz/1 cup) macaroni
* 6 teaspoons vegetable oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 250 g (8 oz) ground beef
* 3 teaspoons tomato puree (paste)
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 3 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
* 4 sheets filo pastry
* tomato slices, onion rings and sprigs of parsley, to garnish
1. In a saucepan, make a Bechamel sauce, seepage 67, with 30g (1 oz/6 teaspoons) butter, the flour and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook macaroni. Preheat oven to 190C (375F/Gas 5). Meanwhile, inafrying pan, heat oil. Add onion and cook until soft. Add ground beef and stir until well browned. Stir in tomato puree (paste), cinnamon and parsley. Season. Drain macaroni, then stir into beef mixture with sauce.
3. In a small saucepan, melt remaining butter. Brush a sheet of filo pastry with butter. Lay another sheet of pastry on top. Brush with more butter. Repeat with remaining pastry. Place macaroni mixture in a line along one long edge of pastry, leaving a space at each end. Tuck ends over, then roll up firmly.
4. Place on a baking sheet. Brush roll with butter. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, or until brown and crisp, brushing with butter occasionally. Garnish and serve.
Variation: Make individual strudels and bake for 20-25 minutes.