For the pastry:
* 8oz (225g) plain flour
* 2oz (50g) lard
* 2oz (50g) margarine
* about 8 teaspoons water
For the filling:
* about 8oz (225g) mincemeat
* a little icing sugar, to dust
1. Measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the fats until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add Just enough water to bind to a dough, then knead until smooth. Roll out on a lightly floured surface. Cut out 16 circles with a 4 inch (10cm) fluted pastry cutter and use to line a microwave muffin pan. It will be necessary to bake the pastry in 2-3 batches depending on the size of the pan.
2. Prick the base of each pastry case with a fork. Cook on full power for 2 ½ minutes. If the middles have risen during cooking, carefully press them down as soon as they come out of the cooker. Lift out of the pan with a rounded knife and cool on a wire rack. Cook the remaining pastry cases.
3. For the tops, cut out 16 small rounds from the remaining pastry with a 3 inch (7.5cm) fluted cutter. Arrange in a circle on a piece of greaseproof paper and cook for 1 1/2 minutes.
4. To fill the pies, warm the mincemeat on medium power for 1 minute, stir, then divide between the pastry cases. Top each with one of the circles of pastry and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Power Levels: Full and Medium
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes per batch