All-in-One Shortcrust Pastry made with
* 175g (6 oz) flour, etc.
* 225-350g (1/2 - 3/4 lb) mincemeat
* Milk and castor sugar, to glaze
OVEN: Pre-heat to fairly hot (200°C, 400°F, Gas No. 6)
SHELF: Second from top
1. Have ready 8-12 ungreased patty tins.
2. Make pastry.
3. Roll out two-thirds of dough thinly and cut into rounds with a fluted or plain cutter a little larger than the tins.
4. Roll out remaining one-third of pastry and trimmings. Cut into rounds with a cutter large enough to make tops.
5. Line patty tins with large rounds and place 1 x 10ml spoon (1 dessertspoon) mincemeat in each.
6. Brash round edges of tops with water. Race tops over mincemeat and press edges down gently to seal.
7. Make 2-3 slits across each pie. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with castor sugar.
8. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.
NB: Flaky or Rough pastry may also be used. Bake in pre-heated hot oven (220°C, 425°F, Gas No. 7) on second shelf from top for 20 minutes.
Makes: 8-12 Mince Pies.
To re-heat Mince Pies: Place mince pies on a baking sheet.
Shortcrust Pastry: Use a pre-heated moderate oven (180°C, 350°F, Gas No. 4) on second shelf from top for 10 minutes.
Flaky or Rough Puff Pastry: use a preheated fairly hot oven (200°C, 400°F, Gas No. 6) for 10 minutes.
Freezing note: Can be frozen before or after baking.