750 g/1 1/2 pound stewing beef
100 g/3 1/2 oz butter
salt and freshly ground pepper
250 ml/10 fl oz beef stock
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon jumper berries
2 sprigs rosemary
2 tablespoons vinegar
For the compote
450 g/1 lb cranberries
200 ml/7 fl oz orange juice
50 g/2 oz sugar
Preparation. Blot the stewing beef dry with paper-towel. Peel and finely chop 1 onion.
• Heat half the butter in a casserole and brown the meat all over. Season with salt and pepper, add the onion and fry for a further 2 minutes.
• Heat the stock and pour over the meat. Add the bay leaves, cloves, juniper berries, rosemary and vinegar and bring to the boil. Cover, and leave to simmer over a low heat for 2 1/2 - 3 hours until meat is tender.
• Meanwhile make the cranberry compote. Bring cranberries, orange juice and sugar to the boil. Stir continuously until berries open and leave to cool. To serve. Peel and finely slice the remaining onions into rings.
• Heat the remaining butter in a pan and fry the onion rings for about 3 minutes until translucent.
• Serve the stewing beef with the onion rings and cranberry compote.
3 hours/20 minutes
Contains per serving: 2394 kJ/574 kcal.
40 g protein, 36 g fat, 21 g carbohydrate
* Stew the beef in beer and serve with fried bacon rashers and mushrooms.
* You can also replace half the stock with red wine, but then omit the vinegar.