* 1 lb (450 g) fresh fish fillets
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons cornflour
* 4 tablespoons oil (preferably groundnut)
* 8 cloves garlic, peeled
* 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh root ginger
For the sauce:
* 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
* 3 tablespoons water
* 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon bean sauce
* 1 teaspoon sugar
* 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1. Rub the fish fillets with the salt and cornflour.
2. Heat a wok or large frying-pan, then add the oil. Fry the fish on both sides until it is golden-brown. Remove the fish and drain on kitchen paper.
3. Drain all but 1 tablespoon of oil from the pan, add the garlic and ginger and stir-fry for 20 seconds. Then add the sauce ingredients and cook for 3 minutes or until the garlic is tender. Return the fish to the wok and re-heat it. Serve at once with the garlic cloves.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
* 1 lb (450 g) fresh fish fillets (preferably cod or haddock)
* Fresh root ginger