* Flaky or Rough Puff pastry, made with 250g (8 oz) flour etc.
* 1 x 1 1/2kg (3lb) chicken, jointed
* 2 x 15ml spoons (2 tablespoons) flour
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) salt
* 1/2 x 2.5ml spoon (1/4 teaspoon) pepper
* 50g (2 oz) Stork margarine
* 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and sliced
* 125g (4 oz) bacon, rind removed and cut into small pieces
* 1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) parsley, finely chopped
* 1 x 2.5ml spoon (1/2 teaspoon) dried or fresh thyme
* 275ml (1/2 pint) stock or water
OVEN: Pre-heat to slow (150°C, 300°F, Gas No. 2)
1. Have ready a covered casserole dish or saucepan with a tight- fitting lid.
2. Wipe and dry chicken, toss in seasoned flour (save remaining seasoned flour for sauce).
3. Heat Stork in large frying pan. Add onion and bacon and fry over low heat until lightly cooked, remove onto a plate.
4. Add chicken and fry until browned, turning over at intervals.
5. Place chicken in casserole or saucepan and sprinkle over the onion, bacon, chopped parsley and thyme.
6. Add remaining seasoned flour to remaining Stork in frying pan. Stir over low heat until it turns golden brown. Remove from heat and gradually stir in stock or water. Return to heat, bring to
boil and cook over low heat for 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
7. Pour over chicken and cover. Place in pre-heated oven and cook for 2 hours or until tender (or simmer gently in a saucepan for 1-1 1/4 hours or until tender).
8. When cooked, allow to become cold. Remove skin and bones from chicken. Chop meat into 1cm (1/2 inch) pieces. Place meat and sauce in a 1 litre (1 1/2 pint) pie dish.
To make pie: Follow directions for making Kidney Pie.
Preparation time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 35-45 mins
Freezing note: The chicken may be frozen after cooking, in a rigid polythene container or freeze the prepared pie before baking.