* 1 x 4.5 kg (9 lb) oven-ready goose
* 150 g (5 oz) button mushrooms, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 15 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
* 250 g (8 oz) butter, softened
* 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
* 1 goose liver, finely chopped
* salt and pepper
1. Rub the goose inside and out with some salt and pepper, and then prick the skin at regular intervals with a fine skewer.
2. Mix the mushrooms with the garlic, anchovy fillets, softened butter, parsley, goose liver and salt and pepper to taste. Stuff the goose with this flavoured butter, then sew up the opening with fine string.
3. Fix the goose securely on a spit and cook over a preheated barbecue for 2 hours. Test to see if the bird is sufficiently cooked by piercing the thickest part of the leg with a skewer; if not, continue cooking for a further 20-30 minutes. Serve the goose carved into fairly large slices.