* 125g (4 oz) Stork margarine
* 175g (6 oz) plain flour, sieved
* 50g (2 oz) castor sugar
OVEN: Pre-heat to slow (150°C, 300°F, Gas No. 2)
1. Have ready a mould, a 20cm (8 inch) flan ring or sandwich tin and a baking sheet.
2. Cut Stork into four and rub into dry ingredients, knead together until they form a smooth dough, leaving the bowl clean.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead again until dough becomes smooth and silky.
4. Roll into a round large enough to fill the mould, flan ring or sandwich tin.
5. Place in the mould, ring or tin, gently press into shape and smooth top.
6. Turn onto a baking sheet Flute edges if a ring or tin is used by pressing with the thumb all round, prick all over with a fork. Mark into eight portions.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 50-60 minutes.
8. Sprinkle with castor sugar. Leave on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes, then lift carefully onto a wire tray and cool.
Freezing note: Freezes well wrapped in foil either as a whole or in individual portions.
Lemon or Orange Shortbread
Add the grated rind of a small lemon or orange to the basic recipe.
Makes: 8 portions.
Preparation time: 15mins
Cooking time: 50-60 mins