* 125g (4 oz) Stork margarine
* 125g (4 oz) soft brown sugar
* 200g (7 oz) golden syrup
* 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
* 1 egg, size 3, beaten
* 275g (10 oz) plain flour, sieved with
* 2-3 x 5ml spoons (2-3 teaspoons) ground ginger
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
OVEN: Pre-heat to slow (150°C. 300°F, Gas No. 2)
1. Prepare an 18cm (7 inch) square cake tin.
2. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed.
3. Pour into prepared cake tin.
4. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours.
5. Test before removing from oven.
Leave in tin for 2-3 minutes. Turn out, remove paper and cool on a wire tray.
NB: 75g (3 oz) Black Treacle may be substituted for 125g (4 oz) Golden Syrup if liked.
Ingredients: as above. Method: as above but at STAGE 2:
2a. Melt Stork, sugar, syrup or treacle in milk in a saucepan, over a low heat, stirring continuously. (Do not allow mixture to become too hot).
2b. Remove from heat, and cool until lukewarm.
2c. Add this to the sieved dry ingredients in a mixing bowl with the beaten egg. Mix together until smooth.
Make: 9 squares.
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 2 hrs - 2 hrs 30 mins
Freezing note: Wrap in 'Cling Film' and foil.