For the pastry:
* sweet short crust pastry case (or a packet of ready made sweet short crust pastry with 40g / 1 1/2 oz crushed pecans mixed in)
For the filling:
* 450 g/1lb prepared weight pumpkin flesh, cut into 1 in / 2.5 cm chunks
* 2 large eggs plus 1 yolk (use the white for another dish)
* 3 oz/75g soft dark brown sugar
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1/2 level teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp ground allspice
* 1/2 tsp ground cloves
* 1/2 tsp ground ginger
* 10 fl oz/275 ml double cream
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Use a shop bought sweet crust pastry case, about 9 inch/23 cm diameter and 1? inches/4 cm deep.
3. To make the filling, steam the pumpkin then place in a coarse sieve and press lightly to extract any excess water.
4. Then lightly whisk the eggs and extra yolk together in a large bowl.
5. Place the sugar, spices and the cream in a pan, bring to simmering point, giving it a whisk to mix everything together. Then pour it over the eggs and whisk it again briefly.
6. Now add the pumpkin puree, still whisking to combine everything thoroughly.
7. Pour the filling into your pastry case and bake for 35-40 minutes, by which time it will puff up round the edges but still feel slightly wobbly in the centre.
8. Remove the pie from the oven and place the tin on a wire cooling rack. Serve chilled (stored loosely covered in foil in the fridge) with some equally chilled creme fraiche, but warm or at room temperature would be fine.
Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour