* 6 leaves gelatine
* 450 ml (16 fl oz) cranberry and raspberry juice
* 25 g (1 oz) caster sugar
* 600 g (1 lb 5 oz) mixed summer fruits, e. g. raspberries, small strawberries, cherries, redcurrants, blackberries, blueberries
1. Break the leaves of gelatine into a roasting tin or shallow dish. Pour over 6 tablespoons of the cranberry and raspberry juice and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Pour the remaining juice into a pan, heat gently until very hot but try not to let it boil. Stir in the sugar until dissolved Draw off the heat, and little by little take the softened gelatine out of the tin and stir into the hot juice. The gelatine will disappear as if by magic! Stir in any juice left in the tin and leave to cool.
2. If using fresh fruit, halve the strawberries and remove the redcurrants from their stalks. Rinse a loaf tin measuring approximately 20 x 10 x 7.5 cm (8 x 4 x 3 in) or use a jelly mould but do not dry. Spoon in the fresh or frozen fruits and pour over 300 ml (10 fl oz) of the juice. Leave to set in the refrigerator for 1 hour. When set, pour over the remaining juice to cover. Return to the refrigerator to set.
3. To turn out, dip the tin or mould into a bowl of hot water for about 30 seconds. Wipe dry, run a knife around the edge of the bowl to loosen the jelly as the hot water will not have come right to the top. Invert on to a plate and give it a quick shake and the jelly should slide out. If not, pop the tin or mould briefly back into the hot water before trying again.
Serves: 8 portions