* 1/4 cup white vinegar
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (see note)
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
* 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
* 2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
* 2 stalks green onions, sliced
* 1 carrot, peeled and cut into julienne strips
In a medium-sized bowl, stir together vinegar, black pepper, red pepper flakes, and sugar. Heat the oil in a saucepan, medium high heat. Cook sesame seeds until brown. Remove seeds with a slotted spoon, and put into vinegar mixture. Add the cucumber, carrot and onion, and combine well. Cover bowl and refrigerate for at least several minutes.
Note: I used approximately 1 teaspoon red pepper/garlic paste in place of the flakes. To begin with, add flakes, or paste, in small amounts, and work up to the amount of hot spice you find palatable.