07 May 2012
The first food baby gets after breast milk is very important for its future tastes and likes. But even more influence first food has on baby's health. That's why parents must introduce new food to baby very carefully. Pay much attention to first baby food to avoid food allergies, diatheses and indigestions. We offer you several recipes of non-allergic baby dishes with products that should be introduced firstly.
Parents should start giving first food – other to breast milk – to their baby at the age of 3-6 months. Up to a year baby eats less breast milk and more other food. A lot of babies refuse to eat breast milk at all at this age. So first baby purees and drinks are rather important. You should know some rules and tips of introducing liquid style food to babies.
Several advices for introducing first liquid style food to babies
- Before starting to introduce new food consult your pediatrician (he'll tell you if your baby is ready and what food to give to it first).
- Always introduce only one product at once. First purees or juices must be cooked of just one vegetable/fruit.
- Give one food to your baby for 4 days at a run. This will help you to understand if your baby has any food allergies. If you're giving several products at once you can't understand which of them causes allergy or diathesis.
- Be very accurate and neat when preparing and feeding your baby. All staff should be clean, same as your hands. Don't taste food with your baby's spoon, always take another one for you – you shouldn't leave your bacteria on spoon.
- Introduce very different foods to a baby and don't upset if it doesn't like any of them. Because every baby is a person and it has it's own tastes, likes and dislikes.
Today there are two ways of giving to a baby its first solid food: to buy baby food in a store or to prepare it at home. Luckily, there are lots of different commercial baby foods, you can choose any you want. It is very easy and quickly to feed a baby nowadays. But, of course, homemade baby food is much better. You take only fresh, delicious and correctly stored products and don't put any preservatives.
When your baby is 3-4 months old you should give it only liquid style food. Older babies (with teeth) can have more solid food – they like and need to chew. Two year old baby eats almost every solid food. So don't forget to modify food while baby is growing and getting older.
When to start giving solid food to a baby
Pediatricians say that babies shouldn't eat anything but breast milk till they're 6 months old. But there is a good advice: "Watch the Baby - Not the Calendar". So you'll see when your baby is ready for another food. If it is, don't refuse to give solid food.
So, how to understand that your baby is ready:
- baby starts to eat non-stop, it is always hungry;
- it wakes up more often at night to eat;
- baby is loosing its tongue-thrust reflex (this reflex protects the infant against choking and doesn't let it eat solid food);
- baby can understand when it is not hungry any more and refuse to take breast or bottle. It means that your baby is able to self-regulate the amount of food being eaten;
- your baby can sit up or hold head up unassisted;
- after baby doubled its birth weight;
- some doctors also name such factor as: baby is interested in your food.
If your baby does that begin to give solid food to it. Some factors say that baby is physically ready for another food, others – that it doesn't get enough nutrients of breast milk.
Recipes of first baby food
Food for babies up to 1 year
Food for older children