04 January 2012
Many people like fish. And experts say that we should eat seafood at least 2 times a week. The best fish is the one with omega3 – like mackerel, herring or sardines. Also salmon and trout are rather good for health and delicious. But different kinds of fish need different cooking techniques. Chose method of cooking according to the fish and your taste. The most healthy food is steamed, boiled and baked fish.
Before cooking fish you are, of course, to buy it. But buying fish is a science. Main things that you should remember are: nice, not strong smell and good look (bright eyes, firm flesh, no discoloration). What fish to buy? Some fish has a lot of bones, others – like salmon, trout – have only double rib cage, so you can easily remove that. These kinds of fish are more expensive, but easier to cook and eat.
If you're not going to cook fish immediately after coming home freeze it to keep fresh.
There are many different methods of cooking fish:
- boiling (just put pieces of fish to the boiling water and cook for several minutes. Be careful not to overcook fish);
- frying (heat the frying pan with oil, cook for about 4-5 minutes per each side, turning carefully);
- sauteing (you need oil and preheated pan. Don't turn the fish too often if you want a crust. Start sauteing on medium heat and then reduce it);
- microwaving (follow the rules for microwave cooking specific kind of fish. Don't forget to turn pieces halfway through the cooking time);
- steaming (you need a steamer with water or stock. But don't let the water boil, because fish will cook too quickly);
- grilling/barbecuing (some kinds of fish are very good for grilling. Use special devices to grill it);
- baking (use oven and an oiled baking sheet. Also you could bake fish wrapped in foil);
- and so on.
But whichever method you choose, remember that the flesh of fish is extremely delicate. That's why it needs very little cooking time. Overcooked fish is not very delicious: too dry if fried or grilled, and too tenderized if boiled or steamed.
Before cooking you can marinate fish or make it natural. Marinating adds flavor and moisture to the flesh, but any marinating should be very brief – about 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Cooking fish. Recipes