Morels with wild rice
- Serves: 2
- Complexity: easy
- 150 g (5 oz) fresh morels, rinsed, trimmed and halved lengthways
- or 15 g (1/2 oz) dried morels plus 5 g (1/4 oz) dried horn of plenty and 125 g (4 oz) mixed fresh mushrooms, such as shiitake, yellow and grey oyster, trimmed
- 150 g (5 oz) wild rice, well rinsed
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 75 ml (3 fl oz) double cream
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. If using dried mushrooms, soak in warm water for 20-30 minutes, then drain. Cook rice in a saucepan of salted boiling water 18-20 minutes until the grains begin to split. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a heavy-based frying pan, add all of the mushrooms, saute over a moderately high heat 2-3 minutes. Season to taste, add the cream and brandy, reduce the heat. Continue cooking until the liquid has almost all evaporated. Transfer mushrooms to a bowl, cover and keep warm.
3. Melt remaining butter in the pan, add the wild rice and reheat, stirring to coat well Season to taste and serve topped with the mushrooms.