Wild mushroom feuillete
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: medium
- 500 g (1 lb) packet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 15 g (1/2 oz) butter or margarine
- 500 g (1 lb) closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 375 g (12 oz) oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) soured cream
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) single cream
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Roll out the pastry to about 3 mm (1/8 inch) thick and cut out six 12 cm (5 inch) circles and six 7 cm (5 inch) ones. Place circles on a baking tray, bake in a preheated oven, 230°C (450° F), Gas Mark 8, for 10-12 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, melt the fat and fry the closed cup mushrooms for 3 minutes, add the oyster mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes, until tender. Remove the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and boil the remaining liquid rapidly until reduced to 1 tablespoon. Add the mushrooms, soured and single cream, garlic and seasoning. Reheat gently without boiling.
3. To serve, place some mushroom mixture and liquid on top of each large pastry circle. Cover each with a smaller pastry circle and serve.