Warm turkey & mixed mushroom salad
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 1 small head curly endive, leaves separated
- 1 small head lollo rosso, leaves separated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 rashers rindless smoked bacon, chopped
- 500 g (1 lb) turkey breast fillets, cut into thin strips across the grain
- 125 g (4 oz) mixed mushrooms, such as shiitake, chestnut, yellow and grey oyster, trimmed and sliced if large
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon wine vinegar (red or white)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coarse grain or Dijon mustard
- pinch of sugar
1. First prepare the dressing: put all the ingredients into a jug and whisk well to combine. Put to one side.
2. Put the lettuce leaves in a large salad bowl, tearing them into bite-sized pieces if you like.
3. Heat a wok until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat over a moderate heat until hot.
4. Add the bacon and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Remove the wok from the heat and transfer the bacon to kitchen paper with a slotted spoon. Leave to drain.
5. Return the wok to the heat, add another 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until hot. Add the turkey strips, increase the heat to high and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until lightly coloured on all sides. Remove the wok from the heat and tip the turkey and its juices into a bowl. Keep hot.
6. Return the wok to a moderate heat, add the remaining oil and heat until hot. Add the mushrooms, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste, increase the heat to high and stir-fry until all the liquid has evaporated. Tip the contents of the wok into the bowl with the turkey and toss to combine.
7. Pour the dressing into the wok and stir until hot and sizzling. Quickly add the turkey and mushroom mixture to the bowl of lettuce, pour over the sizzling dressing and toss quickly to combine. Taste for seasoning and serve at once, sprinkled with the crispy bacon.