Crispy noodles with mushrooms & ham
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: easy
- 1.2 litres (2 pints) lightly salted boiling water
- 375 g (12 oz) chow mein noodles (thin Chinese egg noodles)
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 250 g (8 oz) oyster mushrooms
- 250 g (8 oz) cooked ham, shredded
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
1. Pour the boiling water into a wok and add the noodles. Put the lid on the wok and simmer for about 5 minutes; when cooked the noodles should be tender but not sticky. Drain the noodles and place them on a plate, patting them into a round shape.
2. Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of the oil together in the wok and add the mushrooms, ham and spring onions. Cook for a few minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon. Set aside and keep warm.
3. Slide the noodles into the wok, adding a little more oil if necessary, and cook over a high heat until golden and crisp underneath, then turn them over and cook the second side in the same way. Sprinkle the ham mixture over the noodles and serve immediately.