Cheese & mushroom souffles
- Serves: 4
- Complexity: medium
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 175 g (6 oz) closed cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 75 g (3 oz) Edam cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon made mustard
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Melt half the butter in a saucepan, add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, until tender. Place the remaining butter, flour and milk in another saucepan and heat, whisking continuously, until the sauce thickens. Cook for 2 minutes.
2. Cool slightly then beat in the egg yolks, mushrooms, parsley, cheese and mustard, and season to taste.
3. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold into the mixture. Divide between four individual greased souffle dishes. Place in a preheated oven, 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5, for 20-25 minutes or until well risen and golden brown. Serve immediately.