Iresi _ white or plain rice
* 4 cups (about 1 liter) of white rice
1. Unless the rice is pretty clean, you will want to rinse it before cooking it.
2. Put the rice and about 6 cups (or about 1Â½ liters) of water into a pot and place on high heat. (Some people prefer to boil the water and add the rice to boiling water. This is fine too.)
3. Let the rice boil for about 10-15 minutes (the time will be less if you added the rice to the boiling water).
4. Some people prefer to drain the rice, and others prefer to simmer it.
* If you are draining the rice, let the rice boil until it is soft enough to eat (try a few grains) but not so soft that it is sticky. Then place in a sieve, and allow the excess water to drain out.
* If you are simmering the rice, allow the rice to boil but not until it is soft enough to eat. Cover the pot with a lid, and turn the heat low. Allow the rice to simmer for about 15-20 minutes...the rice should be soft enough to eat, not so soft that it is sticky, and there should be little or no water at the bottom of the pot by the time the rice is finished.
Top with some sort of stew, and eat it like that, or add beans, plantains or a combination.
Makes enough for 6-8 people.