Veal and Apple Pasties with Walnuts
- Ready in: 1 hours
- Serves: 6
- Complexity: medium
- 400 g (13 oz) packet shortcrust pastry
- beaten egg, to glaze
- 500 g (1 lb) minced veal
- 1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 50 g (2 oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped mixed fresh herbs, e.g. thyme, parsley, sage, marjoram, rosemary
- 50 g (2 oz) raisins
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large bowl, mix all the filling ingredients together, making sure that the meat is well seasoned with salt and pepper.
Divide the pastry into 6 equal portions. Roll out each portion in turn into a 20 cm (8 inch) circle and put one-sixth of the filling in the centre of each one and dampen the edge. Fold the opposite sides of the pastry up to meet over the filling and pinch the edges together, making sure they are well sealed. Trim off any excess pastry and flute the seams. Place the pasties on a greased baking tray and brush them lightly with a little beaten egg.
Bake the pasties in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 50-60 minutes until golden brown. Serve hot, or leave on a wire rack to cool.