- Complexity: medium
- 2 cups urad dal (black gram)
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 litre water
- A pinch of saffron colour
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- ghee (oil) to fry
1. Soak urad dal overnight in plenty of water, wash and drain and grind to fine thick batter. Put water little by little, add colour, mix well, beat till fluffy and keep aside for 3 hours.
2. Make sugar syrup of one string consistency, add cardamom powder to syrup.
3. Using either an imarti bottle (with nozzle) or cloth as shown in note, form imartis in the hot ghee.
4. Shape the imartis as follows, make a ring first, then form small ringlets all along the ring.
5. Sim flame and allow to crisp turning once, remove from ghee, drain and dip in hot syrup.
6. Soak for 3 minutes, drain, repeat for remaining batter, make 4-5 imartis at a time, depending on size of frying pan.
7. Serve hot.