Pinwheel cookies _ menus for one
PREPARATION TIME: about 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: about 4 minutes, plus cooling
MICROWAVE SETTING: Maximum (Full)
100 g (4 oz) soft margarine
50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
150 g (5 oz) plain flour
1 teaspoon coffee essence
1 tablespoon cocoa
1. Beat the margarine and sugar together in a mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, then gradually sift in the flour and mix to a fairly firm dough.
2. Roll out half the dough between sheets of greaseproof paperto a 15 x 15cm (6 x 6 inch) square.
3. Knead the coffee essence and cocoa powder into the remaining dough. Roll out in a similar way.
4. Place the unflavoured square on top of the chocolate section and roll up Swiss roil fashion. Cut into 18 slices.
5. Cut a large circle of greaseproof or non-stick silicone paper to fit a turntable or into the microwave oven. Place on the oven shelf and arrange 9 of the pinwheeis around the outside edge. Cook for 3 minutes, then test with a cocktail stick which should come out clean. Cook the remaining biscuits in the same way. Cook for a further 30 seconds if necessary. During cooking the pinwheeis puff up and spread.
6. Leave until cool, then separate the biscuits and, if preferred, sandwich with jam, melted chocolate or cream. The pinwheeis are delicious as they are and can be kept in a sealed container for a few weeks. Should they have softened, they can be crisped in the microwave oven, allowing about 20 seconds for 6 biscuits.