Lamb chops in espagnole sauce _ menus for two
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: about 26 minutes
MICROWAVE SETTING: Maximum (Full); then Medium Low (35%)
4 x 75 g (3 oz) lamb chops,
2.5 cm (1 inch) thick
25 g (1 oz) butter
1 small onion, finely
2 rashers back bacon, rinds
removed and chopped
25 g (1 oz) flour
300ml (1/2 pint) hot strong
1/4 teaspoon powdered bay
2 parsley sprigs
5 thyme sprigs
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground
1.Trim the chops and arrange in a shallow dish, placing the thick part of the chop towards the outside of the dish. Cook on Maximum (Full) for 2 minutes, then turn the dish and cook for a further 2 minutes. Cover and set aside.
2. Putthe butter in a 1.2 litre (2 pint) bowl, add the onion and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the bacon and cook for a further 2 minutes or until the onion is brown.
3. Stir in the flour and cook until brown, about 2 minutes.
4. Add the stock, bay leaf, parsley, 1 thyme sprig and pepper. Stirthoroughly, then three-quarters coverwith clingfilm and cook for 3 minutes. Stir. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then add the juice from the chops.
5. Puree the sauce. Add salt to taste and reheat in the cooking bowl for 1 minute, then strain on to the chops.
6. Reduce the setting and cook, uncovered, on Medium (.Low (35%) for 5 minutes. Turn the dish, then cook for a
further 5 minutes. Garnish with the remaining thyme.