Ginger pudding with custard _ menus for two
PREPARATION TIME: 10minutes (pudding); 5minutes (sauce)
COOKING TIME: 2 minutes, plus standing (pudding); 4 minutes (sauce)
MICROWAVE SETTING: Maximum (Full); then Medium Low (35%)
50 g (2 oz) butter
50 g (2 oz) dark soft brown
1 egg, beaten
50 g (2 oz) self-raising
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon dark treacle
25 g (1 oz) crystallized
25 g (1 oz) caster sugar
2 teaspoons cornflour
200 ml (7 fl oz) milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 egg yolk (threads
1. Grease a 300ml (1/2 pint) cereal bowl and place a 2 1/2cm (5 inch) circle of greaseproof paper or cling film in the base.
2. Beat the butterand sugartogether in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Then gradually add alternate tablespoons of beaten egg and flour. Stir in the ginger and treacle. Lastly mix in all but a few pieces of the crystallized ginger.
3. Spoon the mixture into the prepared cereal bowl and smooth the top with a palette knife. Cook on Maximum (Full) for 1 minute. Give the dish a half turn, then cook for a further 1 minute or until the pudding is just dry on top. Cover with a plate and leave to stand for 3-5 minutes before turning out on to a warm dish.
4. While the pudding is standing, prepare the sauce. Combine the sugar, cornflour, milk and vanilla essence in a jug and blend thoroughly. Cook on Maximum (Full) for 1 1/2 minutes, then stir and cook for a further 1 1/2 minutes until the sauce thickens and a thick bracelet of curd appears round the edges.
5. Beat the egg yolk thoroughly, then add 2 tablespoons of the hot sauce and beat again. Pour into the sauce and stir thoroughly. Reduce the microwave setting to Medium Low (35%) and cook for a further minute. Stir before serving with the pudding. Decorate with the remaining pieces of ginger.