- Serves: 4
- Complexity: advanced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- few drops of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mixed herbs, or 1/2 tablespoon dried
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 500 g (1 lb) button or closed cup mushrooms, sliced
1. Place all of the ingredients, except the mushrooms, in a large screw-top jar and shake well. Add the mushrooms, pushing them down if necessary. Shake the jar once again, so the mushrooms are coated with the marinade. Any covered container may be used if you don't have a large screw-top jar.
2. Stand the jar in a cool place and leave for 24 hours, shaking occasionally so that the mushrooms soften. They will reduce in bulk considerably during this time and also produce quite an amount of liquid.
3. Serve chilled with French bread.