Mushroom and walnut quiche _ menus for two
PREPARATION TIME: about 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20-25 minutes
MICROWAVE SETTING: Maximum (Full); then Medium Low (35%)
75 g (3 oz) plain flour
pinch of salt
40 g (1 1/2 oz) soft margarine
1 tablespoon cold water
15 g (1/2 oz) butter
1 small onion, peeled and
75 g (3 oz) button
15 g (1/2 oz) walnuts,
1 x 170 g (6 floz) can
freshly ground black
1.To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt together and rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles heavy crumbs. Stir in the water and mixtoformadough.
2. Roll out the pastry to fit into a round shallow dish approximately 18 cm (7 inches) across the top.
3. Place a piece of greaseproof paper in the pastry case, fill with dried beans and cook on Maximum (Full) for 2 minutes. Remove the paper and beans, give the dish a half-turn and cook for a further minute. (If using a conventional oven, bake blind at 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6 for 10 minutes.)
4. To make the filling, combine the butter and onion in a bowl and cook for 1 1/2 minutes. Stir, then cook for a further 1 1/2 minutes or until the onion is soft. Drain and spread the onion in the flan case. Cover with the mushrooms and sprinkle the walnuts on top.
5. Put the milk in a jug and cook for 45 seconds or until warm. Beat in the eggs and season with salt and pepper.
6. Pourtheegg mixture intotheflan case, reduce the setting to Medium Low (35%) and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the custard is set round the edges and just a little wobbly in the centre. Give the dish a quarter turn every 2 1/2 minutes during cooking. Leave to stand for 10 minutes, during which time the custard will begin to set. If it is still wobbly, cook for a few more minutes. The custard should set completely by the time it is cold.