White onion soup
* 60 g (2 oz / 1/4 cup) butter
* 3 onions, finely sliced
* 3 teaspoons plain flour
* 315 ml (10 fl oz / 1 1/4 cups) boiling water
* 940 ml (30 fl oz / 3 3/4 cups) milk
* 60 g (2 oz / 2/3 cup) straight vermicelli, broken into 1 cm (1/2 in) pieces
* salt and pepper
* bacon rolls and sprigs of parsley, to garnish
1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Add onions. Cook gently until soft.
2. Stir in flour. Gradually add boiling water. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened. Stir in milk.
3. Bring to the boil. Add vermicelli and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan. Cook, stirring frequently, until vermicelli is tender. Serve in individual bowls, garnished with bacon rolls and sprigs of parsley.