Vietnamese Pork Parcels
* 2 tablespoons groundnut or vegetable oil
* 375 g (12 oz) minced pork
* 5 cm (2 inch) piece of fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
* 4 spring onions, finely chopped
* 200 ml (7 fl oz) fish or chicken stock
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 teaspoons soft dark brown sugar
* 125 g (4 oz) cooked peeled prawns, coarsely chopped (defrosted and dried thoroughly, if frozen)
* 1 teaspoon anchovy extract
* 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder, or to taste
* salt and pepper
* 1 bunch mint and/or basil leaves
* 16 crisp lettuce leaves, e.g. lollo rosso
1. Heat a wok, then add the oil and heat over a moderate heat until hot. Add the pork, ginger, garlic and spring onions and stir-fry for about S minutes or until the meat loses its pink colour.
2. Add the stock, soy sauce and sugar and stir-fry until the stock is absorbed. Add the prawns, anchovy extract and chilli powder and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes until the prawns are heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve at once.
3. Guests place a few mint or basil leaves inside each lettuce leaf and then add the pork mixture. The lettuce leaf is rolled up around the filling to make a neat parcel which is eaten with the fingers.