* 185 g (6oz/1 cup) aduki beans, soaked overnight
* 6-8 sheets wholewheat lasagne
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 250 g (8 oz) white cabbage, shredded
* 125 g (4 oz) mushrooms, sliced
* 1 leek, roughly chopped
* 1/2 green pepper (capsicum), chopped
* 440 g (14 oz) can tomatoes
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* salt and pepper
* 1 quantity Bechamel Sauce made with wholewheat flour
* 60 g (2oz / 1/2 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
* sprigs of watercress, to garnish
1. Drain aduki beans. Put into a saucepan with 1 litre (32 fl oz/4 cups) water. Bring to boil, cover pan and cook for 40 minutes.
2. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook lasagne until tender. Drain and pat dry. In a saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in cabbage, mushrooms, leek, and pepper (capsicum) and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain aduki beans, reserving cooking water, and add to vegetables.
3. Stir in tomatoes and 185 ml (6 fl oz/1 cup) cooking water from beans. Add oregano and season with salt and pepper. Cover pan and simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally,
4. Preheat oven to 180C (350F/Gas 4). In an ovenproof baking dish, make layers of lasagne, vegetables and sauce, ending with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle grated cheese over top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until golden. Serve, garnished with watercress, with salad.