* 500 g (1 lb) tomatoes
* 4 teaspoons olive oil
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 3 teaspoons tomato puree (paste)
* 1/2 teaspoon sugar
* 3 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
* salt and pepper
1. Put tomatoes in a bowl. Pour over boiling water to cover. Leave for 1 minute. Drain. Peel and chop roughly.
2. In a saucepan, heat oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until soft. Stir in chopped tomatoes, tomato puree (paste), sugar, basil, salt and pepper.
3. Cover pan, simmer gently for about 30 minutes. If a thicker sauce is required, simmer, uncovered, for a few more minutes. Serve with all types of pasta.