Tomato and basil sauce
* 1 large onion, finely chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, crushed
* 284 ml / 1/2 pint chicken stock made with Bovril
* 454 g/1 lb ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
* salt and freshly ground black pepper
* few fresh basil leaves, chopped
* 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar (optional)
1. Put the onion, garlic and chicken stock in a large pan and bring to the boil. Boil, with the pan covered, for 5-10 minutes, then uncover the pan and simmer gently for 20 minutes, until the onion is tender, golden and syrupy.
2. Add the tomatoes and cook rapidly over medium heat until the sauce is thick and pulpy. Season to taste with salt and pepper and add the basil. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the balsamic vinegar, if using, and cook for 1 minute before tossing with the pasta. Serve immediately.
Sins per serving of sauce: FREE on Original and Green Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
Variation: You can substitute 1 x 398 g/14 oz can chopped tomatoes, if wished, instead of using fresh ones.