Steamed sponge pudding
* 125g (4 oz) Stork margarine
* 125g (4 oz) castor sugar
* 2 eggs, size 3
* 175g (6 oz) self-raising flour, sieved with
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) baking powder
* 2 x 15ml spoons (2 tablespoons) milk
Have ready a steamer two-thirds full of fast-boiling water or a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, one-third full.
1. Grease a 1.1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin and the cover to be used.
2. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until well-mixed (2-3 minutes).
3. Place mixture in pudding basin and smooth top. Cover. Steam for 1 1/2-2 hours.
4. Turn out and serve hot with jam, golden syrup or a sauce.
Preparation time: 5-10 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins - 2 hrs
Ingredients as above BUT OMIT baking powder.
Method as above except at stage 2:
2a) Cream Stork and sugar until light and fluffy.
2b) Beat in eggs, one at a time adding a little of the sieved flour with the second.
2c) Fold in remaining flour and milk with a metal spoon.
Preparation time: 10-15 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 - 2 hrs
1. Prepare as above.
2. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 6 minutes, turning halfway through cooking.
3. Remove cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes.