* 500 g (1 lb) fresh spinach, trimmed and washed
* 30g (1oz/6 teaspoons) butter
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 3 teaspoons plain flour
* 155ml (5 fl oz / 2/3 cup) milk
* 12 5 g (4 oz / 1/2 cup) ham, finely chopped
* salt and pepper
* pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
* 8 ready-to-use cannelloni tubes
* 1 quantity Bechamel sauce
* 90g (3oz / 3/4 cup) grated Cheddar cheese
* slices of ham and bay leaves, to garnish
1. In a large saucepan, cook spinach in a little water until tender. Drain spinach and chop finely.
2. In a saucepan, melt butter, add onion and cook until soft. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually add milk and bring to the boil for 1 minute. Stir in spinach and ham. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Push spinach mixture into cannelloni tubes using a teaspoon.
3. Preheat oven to 220C (425F/Gas 7). In a saucepan, gently heat white sauce. Stir in 60 g (2 oz / 1/2 cup) cheese. Pour half the sauce into an ovenproof dish. Arrange cannelloni in dish and pour over remaining sauce, arrange ham in a lattice pattern and sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until golden and bubbling. Serve, garnished with bay leaves.