Spicy Rice Noodles with Mussels
* 2 tablespoons oil (preferably groundnut)
* 8 oz (225 g) rice noodles, rice vermicelli or rice sticks
* 1 tablespoon black beans
* 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped garlic
* 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped spring onions
* 2 lb (900 g) fresh mussels, well scrubbed
* 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
* 1 tablespoon yellow bean sauce
* 2 teaspoons chilli bean sauce
1. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, remove from heat and add the rice noodles. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes, then drain well.
2. Heat a wok or large frying-pan and add the oil, black beans (leave these whole), garlic and spring onions. Stir-try for 20 seconds and add the mussels, rice wine, yellow bean sauce and chilli bean sauce. Continue to cook for 5 minutes or until all the mussels have opened. Discard any which have not opened. Add the rice noodles and cook for another 2 minutes, mixing well. Give the dish a final stir and serve at once.
Preparation time: 23 minutes
Cooking time: 8-9 minutes plus 15 minutes' standing time
* Spring onions
* 2 lb (900 g) fresh mussels