* 8 quails, plucked and cleaned finely grated
* rind of 1 orange
* 5 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 teaspoons crushed juniper berries
* 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
* 3 tablespoons brandy
* 75 g (3 oz) coarse pate, e.g. Breton, Pate de Campagne
* 16 small thin rashers of streaky bacon, rinded
* salt and pepper
1. Put the quails into a shallow dish. Mix the orange rind with the olive oil, crushed juniper berries, rosemary, brandy and salt and pepper to taste, and spoon this marinade evenly over the quails. Cover the dish and chill in the refrigerator for 4-6 hours, turning the quails from time to time.
2. Remove the quails and drain, reserving the marinade. Press a generous knob of pate into the centre of each quail, and wrap each bird in 2 rashers of bacon. Thread the quails on to 2 large kebab skewers in such a way that the skewers hold the bacon rashers in position.
3. Brush the quails lightly with the marinade and cook on the oiled grill of a preheated barbecue for 8-10 minutes until tender; turn them once during cooking. Serve the quails with a crisp salad.