Skewered Meatballs with Chilli, Olive and Nut Sauce
* 1 kg (2 lb) good quality minced beef
* 1 onion, finely chopped
* 1 garlic clove, crushed
* 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
* 30 blanched almonds
* oil, for brushing
* salt and pepper
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 small onion, finely chopped
* 500 g (1 lb) tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
* 2 tablespoons tomato puree
* 1 large garlic clove, crushed
* 1 eating apple, cored and grated
* 300 ml (1/2 pint) red wine
* 150 ml (1/4 pint) dry sherry
* 2 small fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
* 25 g (1 oz) raisins
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 50 g (2 oz) stuffed olives, sliced
* 1 tablespoon chopped blanched almonds
1. Mix together the minced beef with the onion, garlic, chilli powder and salt and pepper to taste, working the ingredients together until they are thoroughly mixed.
2. Divide the meat mixture into 30 equal portions and then shape each one into a ball. Press a whole almond into the centre of each meatball, then cover and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
3. To make the sauce, heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion gently for 3 minutes. Add all the remaining sauce ingredients, except for the olives and almonds, and cook steadily for 6-7 minutes. Stir in the olives and almonds. Cover the pan and keep warm on the side of the barbecue.
4. Take 6 long skewers and thread 5 meatballs on to each one. Brush on all sides with oil. Cook the meatballs on the oiled grid above hot coals on a preheated barbecue for 8-10 minutes, turning once. Serve the cooked meatballs with the hot chilli, olive and nut sauce.