Short _ time wholemeal bread
* 25g (1 oz) Stork margarine
* 675g (1 1/2 lb) plain wholemeal flour
* 350g (12 oz) plain wholemeal flour
* 350g (12 oz) strong plain flour
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) salt
* 1 x 5ml spoon (1 teaspoon) sugar
* 25g (1 oz) fresh yeast, blended with
* 425ml (15 fl oz) warm water (25°C-27°C, 78°F-82°F) and
* 25mg ascorbic acid, crushed
* Beaten egg or milk, to glaze
* Crushed Cornflakes, to sprinkle
OVEN: Pre-heat to very hot (230°C, 450F°, Gas No. 8)
1. Grease a polythene bag and a 1 kg (2 lb) loaf tin.
2. Rub Stork into dry ingredients. Pour in blended ingredients, work into a dough with a palette knife.
3. Turn out onto a lightly-floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
4. Place in polythene bag and rest for 5 minutes.
5. Remove dough from bag and stretch into a rectangle, the width of the tin. Fold into three and turn over with seam underneath.
6. Smooth over top, tuck in ends and place in tin.
Return tin to polythene bag and leave to prove at room temperature for 45-60 minutes.
8. Remove polythene bag and glaze with egg or milk. Sprinkle with crushed Cornflakes if liked. Bake loaf in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes, until shrunk from sides of tin and sounding hollow when tapped underneath.
9. Turn out and cool on a wire tray.
Makes: 1 x 1kg (2lb) loaf or 2 x 450g (2 x 1 lb) loaves or approximately 20 rolls.
Preparation time: 25 mins (excluding rising and proving).
Cooking time: 30-40 mins