* 60 ml (2 fl oz / 1/4 cup) olive oil
* 500 g (1 lb) fresh mussels in shells, cleaned
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 2 shallots, finely chopped
* 185 ml (6 fl oz / 2/3 cup) dry white wine
* salt and pepper
* 250 g (8 oz) can clams
* 6 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
1. In a large saucepan, heat half the olive oil. Add mussels. Cover and cook for about 4 minutes until all mussels are open.
2. Heat remaining oil in pan. Add garlic and shallots. Cook until shal¬lots are soft. Drain mussels. Strain cooking liquid; add to shallots with white wine. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil. Boil gently, uncovered, until reduced slightly.
3. Remove most mussels from shells leaving a few for garnishing. Drain clams. Add mussels and clams to cooking juice. Sprinkle parsley over. Serve at once.