* 250g (8 oz) shortcrust pastry
* 50g (2 oz) Stork margarine
* 50g (2 oz) flour
* 275ml (1/2 pint) milk
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* A pinch of dry mustard
* 1 x 120 g (4 oz) can salmon, drained and flaked
* 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and sliced
* 1 tomato, skinned and sliced
* Beaten egg or milk, to glaze
OVEN: Pre-heat to moderately hot (190°C, 375°F, Gas No.5)
SHELF: Third from top
1. Race Stork, flour and milk in a saucepan. Stirring continuously over a moderate heat, bring to the boil and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened and smooth. Season. Add salmon and blend well. Cool.
2. Roll out pastry to about 30cm (12 inch) square. Place the filling down the center of pastry, leaving 10cm (4 inch) on either side. Cut diagonal 1.25cm(1/2 inch) strips each side of filling. Dampen ends of strips.
3. Place egg and tomato alternating down the centre of the filling.
4. Take each strip separately and lay across filling, alternating with each side.
5. Tuck in ends to neaten. Transfer to a baking sheet.
6. Glaze with beaten egg or milk.
7. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes.
8. Serve hot or cold.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins