Red Wine Marinade
* 150 ml (1/4 pint) red wine
* 2 tablespoons lemon juice
* 1 onion, sliced
* 1 carrot, sliced
* 1 celery stick, chopped
* 1 sprig of parsley or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
* 1 sprig of thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 6 black peppercorns, lightly crushed
* 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (optional)
1. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and leave to stand for about 1 hour before adding the food to be marinated. Add the oil only if the marinade is to be used for lean meat, such as chicken, turkey or venison.
2. Marinate poultry for 2-4 hours, beef or lamb for kebabs for 1-2 hours, and large joints for up to 12 hours in the refrigerator. You must turn the food several times during marinating. You can use the excess marinade to baste the food while it is cooking.
Makes: about 300 ml (1/2 pint)