Polenta with Smoky Mushroom Ragout
* 6 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups dry polenta
* 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 2 cups chopped onion
* 8 cups sliced oyster mushroom caps (about 1 1/2 pounds)
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup CÃ´tes du RhÃ´ne or other fruity red wine
* 1 tablespoon chopped drained canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
* 1 teaspoon dried oregano
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
* 2 cups (8 ounces) crumbled queso fresco cheese
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 350Â°.
2. To prepare polenta, combine first 4 ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, stirring well. Bake at 350Â° for 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed. Cover polenta and keep warm.
3. To prepare ragout, while polenta bakes, heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sautÃ© 5 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt; cook 10 minutes or until mushrooms release moisture and begin to brown, stirring occasionally. Add wine, chiles, oregano, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 1 minute or until liquid evaporates, stirring constantly. Stir in tomatoes, and cook over low heat 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
4. Spoon ragout over polenta; sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake at 350Â° for 15 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Sprinkle with cilantro.
For 8 servings