* 8 small fillets of plaice, skinned
* 1lb (450g) frozen cut-leaf spinach, cooked as directed on the packet
* freshly ground black pepper
* 2oz (50g) well-flavoured Cheddar cheese, grated
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* 1 pint (600ml) milk
* 1oz (25g) fresh white breadcrumbs
* 4 oz (100g) beurre manie
1. Season the fish fillets with a little salt and pepper and sprinkle with lemon juice; roll them up. Heat the milk in a microproof jug on full power for about 4 minutes, then whisk in the beurre manie until smooth and thickened. Season to taste. Blend about 6 tablespoons of the sauce with the spinach and spoon into a microproof serving dish.
2. Arrange the fish rolls on top of the bed of spinach and spoon over the remaining sauce. Mix the cheese and breadcrumbs together and sprinkle over the sauce.
3. To serve, heat on full power for 8 minutes, then transfer to a hot grill until the topping is golden brown.
Extracting juice from citrus fruits:
Grate rind first, if using. Cut fruit in half, place cut-side down on an ovenglass plate. Microwave 2 minutes on full power and the juice flows out - with no squeezing.
Power Level: Full
Cooking Time: 12 Minutes
Serves: 4, or 8 as a first course