Onion _ smothered Bacon Chops
* 6 unsmoked bacon chops
* 300 ml (1/2 pint) beer
* 1 bay leaf
* 3 onions, sliced
* 2 tablespoons black treacle
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 2 tablespoons oil
1. Put the bacon chops in a shallow dish and pour the beer over the top. Sprinkle with plenty of black pepper, add the bay leaf and one-third of the onion slices. Cover and then chill in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours.
2. Remove the bacon chops from the marinade and set aside. To make the beer baste, drain the marinade into a small saucepan and boil until reduced by half. Stir in the treacle and lemon juice and remove the pan from the heat.
3. Heat the oil and use to fry the remaining onion slices until they begin to soften. Remove from the heat and set aside.
4. Arrange the bacon chops on an oiled grid and grill over the hot coals on a preheated barbecue for 10 minutes, brushing frequently with the beer baste. Turn the chops, brush again with the baste, top with fried onion rings and spoon over more of the baste.
5. Cook the chops for a further 10 minutes or until they are tender, thoroughly cooked and well glazed. Serve immediately with a tomato salad and baked jacket potatoes.