Mushrooms with green peppercorns
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 500 g (1 lb) closed cup mushrooms
* 4 tablespoons water
* 3 teaspoons fresh green peppercorns in brine, lightly crushed (see note below)
* 2 tablespoons double or whipping cream
* croutons, to serve
* fresh coriander leaves or parsley sprigs, to garnish
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the mushrooms quickly for about 5 minutes until just beginning to brown. Add the water and a little salt, cover the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes, by which time there will be a fair amount of liquid in the pan.
2. Stir the peppercorns and cream into the mushrooms and reheat gently without boiling. Tip into a warm serving dish and scatter with the croutons. Garnish with the coriander leaves or parsley sprigs and serve immediately as a starter or an unusual side dish.
Note: Fresh green peppercorns in brine are available in jars or small cans from delicatessens or large supermarkets. They are quite soft, and so can be crushed easily.